Thursday, September 9, 2010

What the h*** is that?

I called my main squeeze while on my way to work today (he doesn't have to be at work until 10, and I am sooooooo jealous) and asked him to take some form of protein out of the freezer for dinner. Told him what I remembered we had, but said "Don't matter, whatever sounds good is fine". Fast forward to 5:30pm, me standing in the kitchen looking at a 1# chub of ground turkey sitting in a tiny puddle of thawed out frost sitting forlornly on the counter. Fast forward again to me, sitting in front of the TV with no shoes, an ice tea spoon, and the last of the jar of Nutella, absently watching Rachel and Ross have another fight not realizing they will end up together, even if just for the last few minutes of the final episode ever. Fast forward again to me sitting here, looking at the taskmistress facebook and perusing a friend's (only on fb, never met him before) photos of his party where they all dressed up and acted out the movie Titanic in his living room...haha, they were hilarious!

I realize, after the pix of course, that it's getting late and I haven't decided on dinner yet. My daughter's IM box pops up, and I chat idly with her for a few minutes, discussing her hub's recent snack of raw garlic and how he keeps trying to kiss her, all the while knowing that chub ain't gettin' any more cooked. I sign off with a heart and a ttyl, and head off to the kitchen to see what I can see. After a quick inspection of what needs to be used up and what randomness the pantry holds, I decide to make some soup...not just any soup, but some lucious, hearty and stick to your ribs soup that will go down in history as the BEST SOUP EVER, and it will be GOOD FOR YOU. YESSSSSSSSSS!

So here goes...this is another UN-recipe, one that I didn't measure a damn thing, but it matters not a whit - you can fuss with it all you want, it's still going to be DELICIOSO!

Momma Moose's MAXIstrone

1 lb. ground turkey
2 stalks celery, cut in chunks
1/2 onion, chopped randomly
1 carrot, cut in half circles
2 T. butter

Put this in dutch oven and start cooking. I put in the turkey, then the veggies, then threw in the butter because it was sticking and the olive oil decanter was empty. It still stuck, but butter gives flavor so who cares? I cooked that and stirred, scraping the big chunks off the bottom for a few minutes. The "fond" (the stuff stuck on the bottom) was brown but not black, and just WAITING for me to use it to my advantage.....muuuwaaaahhhaahhhaahhaaa! Next, I added:

1 can diced tomatoes, juice and all
3 cans hot water
1/2 can red wine
1 can tomato juice (I use the fake V-8), or you could use an 8 oz. can sauce and one of water
1-2 T. beef soup mix or bullion
1.5 cups of corn (a total guess, I buy big bags and just dumped some in)
Ground rosemary, thyme and garlic powder

Bring to a boil, and scrape the bottom until it all comes off - it will break down in the liquid and make your soup extra special good. Taste it, and add more wine, water, spices...whatever floats your boat. You want to let this boil (turn it down a little) and let the flavors come ALIVE....I would say to cook it for about 30 minutes. Then add:

1/4 head cabbage, chopped (it's a universal sweetener...I am compelled to put it in soup)
1 can cannelini beans (love, Love, LOVE EM! (white kidney beans/no tough skins)

Bring to a boil and cook about 5 minutes. Then add:

1/4 head cauliflower, cut in chunks
1 can pasta....a little more if it's bigger like bow ties, but whatever sounds good

Boil about 5 minutes, then add:

1/2 each small zucchini and yellow squash, cut in thick slices and quartered

Boil for about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Ladle into a pasta or soup bowl, grate some fresh parmesan over the top and ENJOY with some nice warm bread if you got some....as my #1 son would probly say, "that's some GOOOOOOD sh**"!

ps, #2 son proclaims he doesn't like soup, but he ate it and just said "That's some GOOOOD soup!"

No comments:

Post a Comment