Monday, June 24, 2024

Pasta, Pronto!!

Hi!! I really need to retire so I can start posting more than one recipe a year....sure I could do more, but then who would binge watch 19 seasons of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and perform quality control on the hydraulics on my new recliner couch? These days decompressing from work is a full time job, but soon my fellow foodies, SOON.... 

A few days ago a shopping trip resulted in a a couple jumbo trays of chicken thighs, and they were lurking in the fridge making Handsome Stranger nervous they would be deemed "spoilt" and tossed in the garbage, so he suggested throwing them on the monster grill/smoker for Sunday dinner. Arguing with him would have resulted in ME having to cook them, so I nodded and smiled, and he took care of business resulting a MESS of succulent, Sweet Baby Ray's kissed/caramelized bone-in deliciousness WAY too soon - I was busy resting up after potting a half dozen hanging baskets of flora, cleaning up the aftermath and running the battery pack in the blower dead, then maybe a quickie episode of GA to remember I had to make SIDES. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....... 

No potatoes, rice has been over done in the last week, so pasta was the obvious option, just not mac and cheese because I have made it with cauliflower so often I kind of prefer it...that's what I tell myself to keep from making it with pasta every other day and making even my muumuu's tight. And on Sunday Carb Day, a nice pasta side is OK; I did a cruise through Pinterest and looked for fast/easy and this fit the bill - bonus points for being delicious!! 

GARLIC PARMESAN PASTA 

1# pasta of your choice; I used gemelli-like pasta I got in a bulk pack at Costco and it was perfect 
3 T. butter 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed 
3 T. flour 
1 C. chicken broth 
1 C. milk (I used half heavy cream/half milk) 
1 C. grated parmesan 
1 T. dried parsley 
Pinch of salt (to taste, shouldn't need much!) 
Black pepper to taste 

Boil pasta in LOTS of salted water until just done; while you wait for the water to boil/pasta to cook, saute garlic in butter in medium saucepan or skillet, when tender add flour and whisk to combine, let it get a LITTLE color (browned butter just adds to the flavor!), then whisk in broth and milk and stir over med high heat until it thickens and starts to boil. Turn pan down and whisk now and then, your pasta should be done so turn off burner, drain and dump back in the pot and set on burner you just turned off.

 Dump the sauce over pasta, add parmesan and parsley and stir for a few minutes to coat all the pasta and help the cheese melt. The residual heat of the pan and burner will help to thicken sauce a little, just take it off the burner when there is just a little sauciness in the bottom of the pan, it will absorb fully as it cools. 

You can serve with additional parm sprinkled on top, but it was SO good just out of the pot - I just had leftovers with some chicken breast added for breakfast, and only added a tablespoon of cream/water to hydrate and it was excellent! Next time I make it I'll add a photo - it was a last minute offering last night so there was no time for a photoshoot that did not involve someone stuffing it in my (I mean THEIR) face! 😋

No comments:

Post a Comment