Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Potluck for the Win!

I LOVE THIS SALAD. There, I said it. Monthly themed potlucks sometimes get my panties in a bunch because if I don't respond fast enough, someone else picks similar things that I was thinking, then I have to actually do some homework...this one one of those. They even had TWO themes....2 birthdays in one month resulted in "Lemon" and "Tacos". My first thought was lemon swig cookies, because I have been dying to try them but without an event, I will eat them all and will then be shaped like a decidely humongous lemon (already there.....). So I Pinterested, cookbooked, and even looked at online menus for inspiration, but success was elusive. My next step was to check the fridge, freezer, and pantry....the wheels were squeaky at first, but boxes were being ticked, reference recipes triple checked, and finally I realized I had everything to make this salad - OK, I had to buy a lime and some sour cream this morning, but close enough. I LOVE CORN....it's late this year, and I'm starting to twitch a bit from cob withdrawal...my brother/sister in law's farm fb page is compulsively checked multiple times a day, and I am buying extra butter and some new elastic for my fat pants in drooling anticipation....HURRY UP, CORN!! But frozen will work, so into the fray I went! It's not quite half and half pasta/corn, but almost - I would have liked more corn, so don't be afraid to throw in extra; I like it freshly cut off the cob, but frozen is good, and I had some that I froze myself last year for even more corny flavor(If you use canned we cannot be friends). When you saute it in butter until it just starts to brown, it sticks to the pan when the sugars start to burn - it's no wonder they make corn syrup outta this stuff! Add some acid, some heat, some creamy, and the funk of the cheese and cilantro and UUUU-MAMI that's good eats! I had to invent all the quantities because I didn't measure, but as long as you don't overseason it you can't go wrong....be free, toss in a handful/a few scoops, a clump....no one will care! OK, Handsome Stranger will, he hates onions and says that anything that touches raw ones make the whole bowl taste bad. Then he kissed me and I was proclaimed nasty....maybe it was the onions....maybe NOT. Street Corn Pasta Salad 1/2 lb. Ditalini or small pasta 1 bag frozen super sweet corn 1 large jalapeño, diced small (seeded!) 2-3 T butter 1/3 cup diced red onion 1 large Roma, cut off outside and discard seeds, dice 1/4 c chopped cilantro 1/2 cab black beans, drained and rinsed 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese, divided 1/2 cup each mayo and sour cream Juice of 1 lime (do half at a time and taste) Hot chili powder, salt and garlic powder to taste Cook pasta according to directions, drain and run cold water over until cool. While cooking pasta, put butter, corn and jalapeño in large skillet and cook over med high heat, stirring often. When it just starts to brown, remove and let cool a bit. In large bowl, put onion, Roma, cilantro, beans and lime juice, dump cooled pasta on top, then corn mixture and toss. Add mayo and sour cream, then 2/3 of cheese and seasonings to taste...remember to check before salting because mayo and pasta water have salt! Mix well and refrigerate...if it seems dry when you serve, add a couple T of warm water to loosen it up, then garnish w rest of cheese and a sprinkle of hot chili powder. Enjoy...I could eat this every day! ps, Deb, is corn ready YET???

No comments:

Post a Comment