Friday, July 23, 2010

First course, rabbit food

OK, making good on one of the several requests I've gotten - I am on vacation for 2 weeks, but thought I would throw you a bone now and then when I come up for air in my frenzied attempts to squeeze as much fun out of 2 weeks with my family while they're all here at the same time.

My daughter lives in Georgia, a far, FAR ways away from the Pacific NW, and this recipe actually came to me because she lives there - her fave restaurant there is an Italian restaurant called Carraba's, and it's actually very good for a chain. We went there for dinner last time I was there, and the house salad dressing was sooooooo good - she told me that she had the recipe because they shared it online, and sure enough I googled it and voila! I brought it to work for lunch once, and a co-worker who's idea of a compliment is "Well, it doesn't taste like sh**" told me I should bottle it...SCORE!

So here you go - and I think everyone has their own ideas about what a salad should consist of, but I would use romaine, maybe some iceberg (or that salad mix with all the weird stuff at Costco), red cabbage, grated carrot (shush Denice, it's good for you and I grate it so it's really hard to pick out) and some croutons for this one. And sliced mushrooms...yum.

Carraba's House Dressing

1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese (don't use the powder...bite the bullet and buy a wedge from Costco and grate as you need it - it starts to lose flavor the instant you grate it!)
1/4 c. buttermilk - stop whining, I'll give you a recipe for pancakes later to use the rest
1-1/2 tsp. minced garlic (Hubby doesn't like the aftermath, so you can also use 1/2 tsp. powder)
1/2 tsp. minced fresh parsley (yeah, that rarely happens, sprinkle in some dried if need be)
1/2 tsp. lemon juice

Whisk all ingredients together in small bowl. Yup, that's it - not everything has to be a pain in the ass.

Makes 1 cup

Course Two: Homemade Creamy Mac & Cheese...coming soon to a blog near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment