Thursday, March 3, 2011

OPEN WIDE......

I am soooooo sick. I went for like two years without getting so much as an occasional allergy attack, then decided it was time to stop my clock from getting ahead of itself and started to eat more healthy...BAM! I am on my second cold since January, or it's one really long one with an almost healthy couple of days to lull me into a false sense of wellness. It's also quite odd....head cold, but it hurts mostly below my ears, and my back teeth are hyper sensitive - what's up with THAT?? I also don't have much of an appetite since yesterday, which if you know me, means I must be REALLY sick.

I had to go to the store for reinforcements, ie, food that would make me feel better, so I decided to go to my meeting and weigh in too. Hallelujah and Saint's be praised, I dropped a load in the last two weeks, and that was all the encouragement I needed. Pecan Praline ice cream (light...I'm not crazy), some KFC chicken (once again....grilled), and a half dozen Noah's bagels (fine, I'm certifiable) and I was speeding back home to my next dose of cold meds, a full warm tummy (it's still big enough to call it a belly, but tummy makes me feel like I've progressed) and a date with Pride and Prejudice. I quickly totted up the points plus values of my little splurge, and found that I was still within my daily means...and it's really after dinner time so I feel quite good about myself right now, even if I feel like crap.

Sick food is very personal - it's what YOU like and ONLY what you like....when you feel icky, and especially when you aren't all that hungry, what you want is something to make you feel better, even if it's not the best thing for you. For me that changes...I like lots of things, so it can be the craving of the month that gets me through, or something I've seen on a commercial or that someone ate at lunch last week...quite random. And son #1 and my DIL in waiting (sorry Andrea, that's your new nickname) were rear-ended last week, and he insisted that his doctor told them the best prescription was a sweet-potato pie and some of son #2's chocolate chip cookies. I made both, and was not tempted...I ate one cookie, they gave me a bite of the pie and that was enough. I am sure I drive Handsome Stranger up the wall when I'm real sick...he has to find or make something that will make me happy, but if I don't know what it is, his chance of hitting it on the head is comparable to Hugh Hefner scoring with a woman with self-respect (or a brain...).

So what's my offering today? Hmm.......soup is too obvious, and I still have some left from Sunday's soup-o-rama. Cookies? Nah, too much work and rather points intensive. OK, how about that "Breakfast for Dinner" thing? Hmmm....OK, along with the turkey sausage links, a couple eggs over whatever-you-call-em-when-the-yolks-are-runny-but-the-whites-are-NOT, I think a few nicely browned potato latkes are in order....Oster style! One of the things we did NOT receive for a wedding gift was a blender, so we took back some of the repeat items and purchased a lovely harvest gold blender with a glass jar. Which didn't last long, but my Mom had a spare stainless one she gave us, so we were able to get by with it. For 31+ years....that sucker is a workhorse. My lovely daughter bought us a fancy schmancy Kitchenaid a few years ago, and we switched it out, but I swear that old Oster could kick it's arse, at least with margaritas. But the circle of life, yadda-yadda-yadda, and it moved on with Son #1, then came back when he got a girlfriend and a better lookin' blender and now it's back - we have smoothies almost every day for breakfast, so it's nice to have 2 in case the parts are still in the dishwasher. And this recipe came from the Oster cookbook that came in the box 31+ years ago...that makes it a keeper!

Potato Pancakes

I don't think you can call them "latkes" because they aren't shredded - but they have the same ingredients, it's just not the same texture. And I always thought of latkes as just hash browns...these are quite different!

2 eggs
1 small onion
1 tsp. salt
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 cups raw cubed potatoes, skin on

Put eggs, onion, salt, flour and baking powder and half the potato cubes in blender and process on LIQUEFY until smooth. Add remaining potatoes and process a couple cycles on GRIND, or until there are no more BIG chunks. Pour onto a hot, well greased griddle and fry until nicely browned, flip and press gently to flatten out and cook until golden brown on side 2. Drain on paper towels, keep warm in oven. Makes 12 pancakes.

That's it - super easy, no peeling (unless you want to be all pale and sickly), and minimal cooking skilz required....they have a nice oniony flavor, quite a different texture, and will make you feel all warm and comfy inside. And if you're sick and can get someone else to make them for you, all the better....that is my evil plan for dinner tonight, "koff, koff". Have it with a side of applesauce...because you know what they say about apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment