Wednesday, March 2, 2011

6-pack up to the bowl....

I know, you don't want to hear it - this is not really where you go to find healthy, good for you recipes...you want comfort, butter coming out of your pores, a whipped cream moustache and chocolate that takes 10 minutes to lick off your fingers. So do I, so do I.....but it's new world (possible WW infringement) and like I commented on fb yesterday, I someday want to be able to scramble in and out of a race car with the doors welded shut without getting stuck. It's all about speed, baby....

Even though this is good for you, it's also delicious and filling, and will give you so many of your daily vegetables you'll be good for 12 of your usual "isn't the pickle in my McDouble a veggie?" days. And it's not one of those ZERO POINTS soups...gross. I'm sorry, but I gotta have some heft in my liquids, otherwise I feel like the waterbed we had in the 70's...and 80's....and.....nevermind. Sloshing does not feel full to me, and it reminds me that I will shortly be required to stop whatever I'm doing and find a bathroom FAST or suffer the taunts and jeers of those who have a bladder larger than a pea. And by the way, if you see a woman heading purposefully to the can, and beat her to the door, be aware that if you don't let her go first, the plants in the hallway may start to wither and die....just saying. One time a lady actually "front ended" me in a parking lot, throwing it into reverse and slamming into me for a last second parking spot...I was annoyed, but when she whispered "As a woman you understand...I have diarrhea..." I only lectured her about driving like a maniac and didn't go postal on her, because I've been there.

Sorry, got off track there - hope I didn't just ruin it for you. I have been eating this soup since Sunday, and it's so bloody good I will never get sick of it - sure it's 7 points for 2 cups, but you will be so full for so long you may not even need 2 cups....and one cup is only 3 points! The broth doesn't just lie there, it sits up and says "Howdy!", without being obnoxious and spicy hot. I've used recipes, but decided to go the "do-it-yourself" route - I find that culminates in some of my very best recipes. And it's CHEAP too....nothing fancy, and it makes a nice big pot - if I wasn't so anal about points, I would toss a nice heavy loaf of artisan bread, possibly filled with roasted garlic cloves, in the oven to get all warm and crispy and delicious...then I would slather it with butter and never get in that damn race car. Hmph. Winter is still dragging her butt through my life, so it's still soup time....get some while the gettin's good!

Checkered Flag Minestrone

1 tsp. olive oil (REALLY, you only need a tiny bit)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped ( I like to use the centers including leaves...use more cause they're little)
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 C. frozen corn
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
1 C. macaroni or other small pasta (you can break up spaghetti too...whatev)
2 cans diced tomato (I like the fire roasted with black bits)
1 can white kidney (cannelini) beans, with liquid
8-12 C. hot water (start with 8, then as pasta soaks it up add more to your pref)
2 T. beef base (bullion, but I use the paste kind)
3 T. ketchup
1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large stockpot, add garlic, onion, celery and carrot and saute until it starts to soften. Add corn and stir, then add turkey, stirring and breaking into small chunks until it's no longer pink. Add cabbage and macaroni, cook a few more minutes, then add rest of ingredients, bring to a full boil, then turn to medium low and cook at a low boil for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. I think you should come out with about 14 cups, and it will be a nice thick soup...if you like it more brothy, you can add more water, bullion, ketchup and seasoning - but I prefer it nice and thick. I think traditionally you would grate some Parmesan over it, but that adds points unless you use like a teaspoon of that fakey powder crap....do what you have to.

That is 3 points plus per cup, 7 for 2 cups (.points are measured by full number increments, so it's a high 3), and you will be happier than a pig in mud with a big steaming bowl of this. And remember, if you eat the bread with butter....is it really so important if it also requires you to butter your arse to get in that car?? Vroom-vroom....

No comments:

Post a Comment