Monday, April 17, 2017

Love at First Bite

Sunset from inside my church
 Easter was sort of weird this year....I think because my lovely and far too independent daughter moved to Massachusetts last August, and took my grandson hostage so he wasn't here to do the whole Easter Bunny thing.  Not that he was falling for it anyway....altho the beard at 14 may LOOK mature, he's probably only a few years past getting suckered by his crafty granny to believe a giant and scary rabbit was sneaking into the house and pooping a bunch of candy in a basket.  And I totally missed his A personality when it comes to such tasks, and how he lined up all the completed eggs in a perfect rainbow for all to admire.  Gramma just threw eggs into the cups, then wandered off and watched a movie or something, completely forgetting until the dye had gone through the shell so our Polish Dish looked like it had confetti in it. And also missed getting up and finding Ethan watching netflix with a nearly empty basket because he'd been up since 6 and had his pre-breakfast snack of 4.5 lbs of candy stuffed into his basket.  And he STILL ate breakfast.....

I wasn't going to make baskets for the "kids"....in July they will ALL be over 30, so maybe that should be my guilt free cut-off age to stop doing that??  Ended up putting it all in a "platter basket", and for all my good intentions of NOT overdoing it, I thought I was going to need Walt's engine lift to get it into the kitchen. And even at that, it was mostly gone this morning....nothing but a few Twix, a couple snack bags of Almond M&M's, and a bag of pistachios that someone has yet to claim.  If the boys are still in bed when I get home, I should probably sneak into their rooms and give them each a shot of insulin.  I had a FEW.....still haven't learned to not buy candy I love, so those stupid sour watermelon gummies kept calling my name.  Which is apparently "Hey, you....yeah, the one with your pants unbuttoned"....

Breakfast was the Easter Absolute....cannot celebrate the Risen Lord without Polish Dish (another post, look it up), and some lovely asiago roasted garlic bread toast dripping with butter.  We went to bed late (Saturday Vigil Mass takes FOREVER), got up  late, but apparently the kids were hibernating so we finally stood between their bedroom doors and said LOUDLY "We are eating breakfast in 5 minutes, with or without you", so 10 minutes later they got up.  Which was good, because I decided that we had to have some kind of sweet bread after all, did a speed scan of Pinterest, then whipped up my version of the offering "Best Ever Cinnamon Roll Bites".  Everyone LOVED them....they are sweet, and petite, and tender, and super-duper yummy ESPECIALLY if you smear some butter on them, and SO much faster than cinnamon rolls.  I also tweaked the recipe because biscuits need buttermilk, and buttermilk makes things more tender and with a pleasant tang....you could probably use Bisquick for this, but you know how I feel about that so don't tell me if you do.  Enjoy.....your first bite will not be your last!

Better Cinnamon Bites

I will admit I cranked up the recipe a bit, and perhaps the pan could have been less full, but what the heck....you could probably pile some on top, or use a small oven proof dish or put them in cupcake tins or whatever....just make them and I think you'll discover no one cares, and it's hard to complain when your mouth is full.

Dough:
2.1/3 Cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 Cup cold butter (1 cube)
1 C. buttermilk

Topping:
1/4 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup white sugar
2 T. cinnamon

2 T. melted butter

Icing:
1 T. butter, melted
1 C. powdered sugar
Milk 

Preheat oven to 350, grease or spray a large pie plate or tin, or an 8x8 square glass pan, or maybe a 8 or 10 inch spring form pan and set aside.

Mix topping ingredients in medium sized bowl and set aside.

Mix flour, baking powder, salt and soda in large bowl, cut in cold butter with pastry blender, a fork, or your fingers until small pea sized chunks.  Stir in buttermilk with a fork, adding more if needed to get a rough shaggy ball, and don't over work or they'll be tough.  Once you have the sides scraped, grab a cookie scoop or two teaspoons and start making rough balls about an inch diameter, and drop each into the cinnamon sugar.  roll around and put in baking dish, continuing until you've used all the dough.  Squeeze them in, or put some in another container if you feel like there's too many - I ate a fair amount of dough so that helped me, lol.

Melt butter and drizzle over top, then bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until you can stick a knife tip in between two center balls and check to ensure they are no longer doughy.  Put on trivet and let cool for maybe 10 minutes.  While waiting to cool, melt icing butter, add powdered sugar and whisk, adding enough milk to get a creamy but thing icing.  Drizzle on top of balls and serve warm.  With butter on the side.....I will add a picture of the recipe next time I make them, but never thought about it yesterday because I was too busy stuffing my face, so you get one of my church I thought was beautiful and more Easter appropriate.  But come to think of it, I wonder how I get ANY food pictures on here since I'm forever stuffing my face....

1 comment:

  1. I like the window. St. Francis? Liking the post goes without saying.

    ReplyDelete